The cost of raising heifers is a major cost. Being able to predict how many heifer calves you produce annually in combination with knowing how many heifers you actually need to keep are critical management concepts to keep your heifer replacement program efficient. Several measurable herd metrics go into determining these numbers, including: age to first calving, herd cull rates, calving interval, calf sex ratio, calf mortality rate, and heifer non-completion rate. This workshop will work you through the steps to know these critical numbers on your farm.
- Summary of heifer data in Delaware County collected in previous years. Where are the opportunities?
- Introduction to the Penn State Dairy Herd Metrics Calculator
- The Metrics in the calculator – what they mean and how you can improve them
- Using the calculator. We will have several computers set up for you to run various scenarios for your farm
- Knowing your opportunities now that you know the answer to ‘Just how many heifers I should be keeping?’
Register by March 28th with Kim Holden at 607 865-7090 or [email protected]